Fresh Golf is proud to be assisting the Gorge Vale Golf Club in their search for its next Assistant Grounds Superintendent.
If you want to become a Superintendent in the next few years, then this position will assist you in your career development. Over the last several years, the club has made it a priority to invest in their staff. They have developed a culture that proves that they value your personal and professional growth.
Located just 5 minutes from downtown Victoria's inner harbor, Gorge Vale Golf Club has the proud distinction of being one of the most challenging layouts on Vancouver Island. The mature, traditional course with 143 acres of park-like setting, undulating fairways and rock outcroppings is situated in the middle of British Columbia's capital city. Gorge Vale was designed by A.V. Macan and opened for play in 1927.
The Club has hosted numerous Provincial, National & International Professional and Amateur Championships. It was a stop on the then Canadian Tour (now PGA Tour of Americas) and most recently held the Canadian Senior Men’s National Championship.
Victoria offers a year-round mild climate which is excellent for those that love outdoor activities. Hiking in regional parks, kayaking in the Pacific Ocean, bike riding in urban and trails and of course 12 months of golf.
Gorge Vale Golf Club is seeking to find its next Assistant Superintendent to assist Kevin Brown and the grounds team in the exciting years ahead. Currently, the club is in the initial stages of a course improvement plan under the direction of Golf Course Architect Jeff Mingay.
• The Assistant will serve in the Superintendent's capacity during his absence.
• Schedule, assist / participate, and oversee all day-to-day maintenance operations.
• Assist in the preparation, application and documentation of plant protectants and nutrients.
• Carry out daily monitoring of all turfgrass environments and all other areas on the grounds.
• Help train staff on proper techniques, standards and procedures, with an emphasis on safety.
• Work closely with the Superintendent in preparing both short and long-term agronomic strategies.
• Communicate with Pro Shop staff with regards to delays, closures and maintenance scheduling.
• Oversee completion of work assignments by staff, and assists with agronomic decisions, engaging with all levels of staff to perform actual labor when and as needed.
• Contribute to the maintenance, function, and performance of the irrigation system.
• Participate in long term planning and implementation.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
The successful candidate must be self-motivated, organized, dedicated, detail-oriented and focused on contributing to a positive environment. Must possess leadership skills.
Listens and respectfully responds to both members and all club staff.
Proficiency in computer use, knowledge of Microsoft Office.
A thorough understanding of turf agronomy, including calibration and proper use of various fertilizers, herbicides, pest control methods and materials is required.
A strong aptitude for moisture management supporting healthy and firm surfaces, through the use of FieldScout tools and Toro Lynx Central Control.
Hands on experience and technical knowledge of construction and drainage installation.
Possess a BC Landscape Pesticide Applicators Certificate or be willing to obtain one. within 90 days of employment.
Applicants should possess a turfgrass management or horticulture diploma/degree or be nearing completion of a similar certification program. Previous experience as a second assistant or assistant in training from a reputable club preferred.
Flexible schedule required: Early morning starts, Weekends, and Holidays
• Lifting up to 20lbs regularly, lifting up to 50lbs occasionally
Salary $75,000 - $85,000
Extensive club health benefit plan
Professional development allowance
Daily meal plan.